History of Ritchot

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A


RM of Ritchot History

  • The first occupants of this land were Indigenous Peoples. Manitoba’s Plains Culture Area has been the longest, most continuously and densely populated human settlement zone. The prairie’s many resources included vast grasslands and the famous bison. The bison hunt is a tradition among the people of this land from the Paleoindian times up until the horse-using groups of the Post contact era.
  • Ritchot was incorporated as a municipality in 1890.
  • 1st official minutes were done January 12, 1891, signed by the 1st reeve John Kenny and the secretary treasurer George Gaudry.
  • 1st 4 elected councillors were James Rowan, Duncan McDougall, Joseph Joyal and Patrice Charette.
  • Since the beginning there have been 4 wards: ward 1 Ile des Chênes, ward 2 St. Adolphe, Ward 3 Ste. Agathe & Niverville, Ward 4 Red River Drive, St. Norbert, Grande Pointe

Floods

  • In the past 350 years there have been 7 known high-magnitude floods in southern Manitoba in the lower Red River region (Winnipeg-Morris): 1762, 1747, 1826, 1852, 1950, 1979 and 1997 (previously there most likely have been floods as well...but it is difficult to know because it has not been recorded.)
  •  Red River Valley Interpretive Center: west of Ste. Agathe on the PR 305- historical information relating to the 1950 and 1997 floods.
  • The flood of 1826 has been the worst since at least AD 1648. (it was 40% worse than the flood of 1997)
  • Most recent flood 1997: widely publicized, the catastrophe flooded approximately 91 % of the municipality.
  • 4,000 Ritchot residents were evacuated during the flood of 1997, 800 homes were flooded and 120 of those homes had to be demolished.
  • During the flood of 1997 part of Ritchot was affected by artificial flooding caused by the Floodway Operations at that time.
St. Adolphe

  • St. Adolphe was previously named Pointe Coupée: a piece of land that was surrounded on 3 sides from the rivers and in the spring the river flowed over the low land and cut it off from the rest (making a point of land that was cut off from the rest.)
  • Founding Family: Carrière first settlers in the region
  • French, Scottish, and Indigenous descendents
  • Louis Riel lead a group of Métis against the Canadian Surveyors; "On July 5, some Métis from Saint Norbert went to Pointe Coupée to warn some Canadians that they were trespassing on private property. Finding no one present yet wanting to leave a strong message, the Métis burnt the wood gathered by the Canadians (no doubt to build a house) and filled in the well.”
Ste. Agathe

  • Originally named: Pointe-à-Grouette
  • First inhabitants: Métis descendants of nomadic Indigenous bison hunters & HBC/ North West Co. voyageurs.
  • End of 19th century: other families settled and grew grain crops
  • 1863-1872: missionaries Noel Ritchot, J.B Proulx and David Fillion visited the families
  • April 11, 1876 Pointe-à-Grouette was given the official title of Paroisse de Sainte-Agathe.
  • Cheyenne Boiler: from the famous Cheyenne River Boat that sank in the Red River in 1875 near Ste. Agathe. (Located on Main Street in Ste. Agathe.)